Moving Files to Your Home [H:\] Directory
1. Begin by left clicking the “My Computer” icon on your desktop
- a. If there is no icon on your desktop, left click the “Start” menu. Next, left click on the “My Computer” tab, generally located in the right-hand column.
2. In “My Computer”, locate the section titled “Network Drives”.
3. Under “Network Drives” will be your H Drive. It will be titled with your login username followed by the Sutton Public School cluster specifics. Double left click to open your H Drive folder. a. Example: Mshstech on ‘Sps_cluster…(H:)
4. Located in the H Drive folder will be a folder titled “My Documents.” Double left click to open this folder.
- a. Note – this is a DIFFERENT My Documents than the My Documents located on the C drive. All files must still be moved into this H Drive My Documents.
5. Move the now opened “My Documents” H Drive window to one side of the screen.
6. Open another window by left clicking on “My Computer” once again.
7. In “My Computer”, locate the section titled “Files Stored on this Computer”.
8. There will be multiple folders in this section, such as “Shared Documents”, “USERNAME’s Documents”, etc. The “Shared Documents” folder ONLY should be opened and searched for needed files. If a file needs to be checked, double-left click the file to open and review it.
9. Once a needed file is found, left click and drag the file from one location [example: “Shared Documents”] to the H Drive “My Documents” file. Once the file has been moved, it can now be accessed from the H Drive.
10. If a pop-up appears asking if you would like to Copy the file you just moved, left click “Yes”.
11. To return to the “My Computer” folder or any other previous folder, left click the “Back” Arrow located on the top left of the page.
12. After reviewing the folders under the first section, locate the section titled “Hard Drive Discs”. There will be a folder in this section titled “Local Disk [C:]”.
13. Double left click on the “Local Disk” folder.
14. Review this folder for any files needed. If a file is found, left click and drag the file from the current location to the “My Documents” folder under the H Drive.
- a. Note: All folders and files not personally created [ex. “Program Files”] do not need to be moved. Only personally created files or folders need to be relocated to the H Drive.
15. Locate and double left click on the “Documents and Settings” folder located in “Local Disk”.
16. Review this folder for any files needed. If files are found, drag and relocate to the H Drive.
17. Locate and double left click on the “USERNAME” folder.
18. Review this folder for any files needed.
19. Locate and double left click on the “Desktop” folder.
20. Review this folder for any files needed. If files are found, relocate them to the H Drive.
21. Once all personal files and folders have been relocated to the H Drive, both windows can be closed.
<Instructions and images by Maegan Boutot>